Laptop starts with PXE-E61 Media test failure error
The laptop starts with a PXE-E61 media test failure error on a black screen. The operating system will not load.
1. Hard drive is blank.
2. Poor connection between hard drive and motherboard.
3. Failed hard drive.
4. Failed hard drive controller on motherboard. Possible troubleshooting steps and repair solution:
The problem is related to the hard drive. The laptop displays this error because it cannot see the hard drive or data on the hard drive.
1. If you get this error message after the hard drive replacement, simply reinstall the operating system and it should be fixed. Most likely the new hard drive is blank and the laptop cannot boot from it.
2. Enter the BIOS setup menu and find out if the hard drive is listed in there. If the hard
drive is not listed, try reconnecting the drive, maybe it’s not making good contact with the motherboard. Unplug the hard drive from the motherboard and plug it back in.
3. If the hard drive is listed (or not listed) in the BIOS, remove it from the laptop and test in an external USB enclosure. Connect the enclosure to another working computer. Find
out if the hard drive spins or detected by the OS when connected to another computer. If
the drive doesn’t spin and not detected by the OS, you have a bad hard drive.
4. If the hard drive works fine while connected to another computer, but doesn’t work
when installed into the laptop, most likely there is a problem with the controller on the motherboard. The motherboard has to be replaced.